Appointments and Affiliations:
- Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Portland State University
- Affiliate of Nohad A. Toulan School of Urban Studies and Planning, Portland State University.
- Fellow, Institute for Sustainable Solutions (2010-present)
- Hans Fischer Senior Fellow, Technical University of Munich (2017-2020)
- Member, past-Chair, World Society on Transport and Land Use Research (2011-2014)
- Member and treasurer, International Steering Committee for Travel Survey Conferences
- Principal, Clifton-Currans, LLC
- Travel Behavior: Assessing Demand for Activities and Travel
- Transportation Policy
- Land Use and Transport Interactions
- Pedestrian Demand Modeling
- Technology, Mobility and Demand
- Physical Activity and Health
- Transportation, Environment and Energy
- Equity for the Transport Disadvantaged
- Mixed Methods: Bridging Quantitative and Qualitative Approaches
Dr. Clifton is a professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Portland State University. She holds an affiliate appointment in the Urban Studies and Planning Program and is a fellow in the Institute for Sustainable Solutions. Her research, teaching and service activities are focused on transportation and how human mobility is shaped by needs, activity demand, urban context, and technology. She is an internationally recognized expert on transport and land use interactions, travel behavior, pedestrian modeling, and equity in transportation policy. She bridges the fields of transportation engineering and planning and is known for qualitative and quantitative methodological research methods.
To date, Dr. Clifton has served as Principal Investigator or co-Principal Investigator on funded research projects totaling nearly $5.4 million dollars. Project sponsors include: Oregon Department of Transportation, Oregon Transportation Research and Education Consortium, Metro, Maryland Department of Transportation, Active Living Research Division of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, US General Services Administration, and the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments.
Prior to pursuing an academic career, Dr. Clifton worked as a researcher for the US Department of Energy in Morgantown, WV; a project manager for NuStats, a survey research firm in Austin Texas; and a transportation consulting firm, John F. Hickman and Associates in Austin, Texas.
Dr. Clifton has a PhD in Community and Regional Planning from the University of Texas at Austin, MS in Planning from the University of Arizona, and BS in Mechanical Engineering from West Virginia University.
She lives in Portland, OR with her cats Mr. Peterson and Billy. In her free time, she enjoys listening to live music, outdoor recreation, cooking for others, traveling to world cities, and photographing street art.